Sunday 23 December 2007

No more 'Back o' Sunday'

Alex Cowe – Fisherman - Christian Soldier

I was first introduced to Alex and Christine Cowe in the early months of 1980, on a visit to Peterhead to preach for the vacancy that existed for the post of Pastor of the Assemblies of God Church in Chapel Street.

During that weekend my wife and I were farmed out to various members of the congregation so they could get a taste of what we were really like. A kind of beauty parade! What they saw was what they got. A couple with three kids, one just a babe in arms, who came with a desire to serve people. Alex and Christine welcomed us warmly into their home. Since that day to this I can still remember being treated like royalty with such tender care and respect. I still feel that warmth even now nearly 27 years later.

I never asked them what they thought about us, this strange family from Edinburgh translated to Peterhead, I did not need to. I knew from day one that they cared for us that was all that mattered. At the end of the weekend I was asked if I would like to go down to watch the fishing vessels set out ‘back o’ Sunday’. This was to become one of my favourite pastimes during my stay in Peterhead. Alex Cowe took me on board the Shemara, the vessel of which he was first mate, she was a pair trawler, which had just been lengthened along with her sister vessel the Golden Dawn, skippered by Alex’s brother, Andrew(?).

Alex was so proud of these vessels, lengthened to 106ft, with sea water refrigeration in the holds, to enable them to fish for herring and mackerel, as well as white fish. So much so that on this evening he just had to show me over these vessels. I could not deny myself such an outing, I had never been on a deep sea fishing vessel before and this would be my introduction! I was like a young child! Of I went with the words of my wife ringing in my ears, she did not have to say anything, the look was enough: ‘make sure you do not get any oil on that new suit you are wearing.’ Alex gave me the tour of his Shemara, wheelhouse, galley, saloon, sleeping quarters, fish deck, the works. I was doing well until I came past a brand new piece of deck equipment on my way off the vessel and yes, you guessed – a great ‘dollop’ of oil brushed onto my new suit. Alex looked at me and said absolutely nothing, but shrugged his shoulders and gave me a look as if to say: ‘you’re on your own’.

During my time as Pastor of the Assembly Alex treated me as not just a friend but allowed me to be his ‘Pastor’, he never referred to me as anything else. Even after I left the Assembly in 1982 he always spoke to me using the term ‘Pastor’ before correcting himself! He was that kind of fellow! In a strange way I was deeply saddened when I heard of his promotion to glory. Unfortunately I could not be present at his funeral as I was overseas at the time.

In life it is often the case that some people you come into contact with make little or no impression. That cannot be said about Alex Cowe. When he dealt with me, he was, in the words of the AV a ‘familiar friend’. Over the years since we left Peterhead, we kept in touch and occasionally, never enough really, we met up, he visited us here at least once and we met at various times when I returned north. In my life I only ever felt a distinct call to one place of ministry, Peterhead, it was to people like Alex and Christine Cowe I found it my privilege to serve.

You will note from this, that Alex Cowe was a special, a brother in Christ. He may never have gained much from me but I certainly was enriched by his friendship from day one. My only regret is that I was unable to be with him or at his funeral to join with others to say farewell. Or to put it in the words of the old song: ‘We will say good night here, But good morning up there!’
Alex Cowe was, in my eyes, a man who was worthy of the name of soldier of Christ!

No comments: